Mar 5, 2012

Editing work: A crutch for writers, or a distraction?

A crutch, for sure.

Sometimes writers ask me whether I think taking on editing work is a good idea. The answer - unless you're making a lot of money from your own writing - is a resounding "Yes."

Researching and writing an article is almost always more satisfying than polishing another person's work. Producing a book is better still. Nevertheless, there are good reasons – over and above any desire to pay bills and put food on the table – why you should accept editing assignments.

Each year for the last eight, I've devoted a good part of the late autumn and winter to a well-paid but awfully dull editing job. Doing lots of editing has taught me some useful skills. I've learned how to say the same thing in a dozen different ways. I've gotten much better at spotting phrases which, while not bad English, could be made more elegant. I can pare any text without losing substance. As I've said before, any kind of language work will make you a better writer.

Also, editing sometimes leads to article ideas. Even if, in terms of subject matter, there's almost no overlap between the editing cases you get and what you like to write about, you're sure to have a number of “I didn't know that” moments. When you start to think like a writer, ideas will come thick and fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment