Jan 8, 2012

A Veteran's Advice IV

Rewrite

Bill Vossler is absolutely correct. If I go through an article which I think I've finished, I often find tiny errors – and I always find superfluous words. However, when tinkering with your text, do bear in mind that the law of diminishing returns soon kicks in.

If you've completed the article ahead of deadline, it's often better to submit it to the editor right away, rather than fiddle with it until the very last minute. Many editors are grateful if work comes in ahead of time. I know this because editors have told me. Also, when I worked as a managing editor, items that came in early usually ended up looking especially good in the magazine because I'd had enough time to polish them, and to find appropriate images.

When rewriting, you need to be willing to cut whole sentences and sometimes entire paragraphs. This can hurt if you've put a lot of time and thought into them. Save these off-cuts; you might be able to use them in an article on the same topic that's longer or which takes a different tack.

1 comment:

  1. Steven,
    Excellent advice! Submitting early could be equally applicable to photographers, something I had never considered.

    ReplyDelete